August 23, 2010

Winding down

Summer is nearly done, say it ain't so. Call me crazy but the heat doesn't get to me, I've been tight with Las Vegas summers since spending one in Laughlin. Now, Laughlin is HOT! One summer there caused my internal thermometer to recalibrate. Ever since, I don't tire of summer and I dread winter. This year, I'm even feeling dread over fall. That must revoke my sanity card, it's official I am whacked. I know fall in Vegas should be lovely. Perfect even, but now my idea of perfection keeps raising a few degrees... Mid-90's are ideal.

Although, that's not quite swim weather. Heck, it's been hovering around 100 and I think it's too cold to swim. I haven't been in the pool since the day before we left for Seattle. The water temp fell while we were away, the mercury on the pool thermometer hasn't rose above 82 since. To make me sound like even more of a whackadoo. The last two times I was in the hot tub, I was chilled. The temp is set at 95. It used to be a comfortable setting for summer. Now, I get goosebumps. For real.

Being that summer is winding down that means my Sundays with Frank are limited. Next week is my last one. Yesterday, I hoped we'd have the day together, but he spent it with his uncle instead. I was disappointed, but I understood. His uncle's friend only comes in once a year and the three of them like to bond over betting the ponies at Suncoast. I enjoy going to the track, but watching races on tv camping out in the racebook is lost on me.

Next weekend is our last hurrah before football starts. If the weather cooperates we may drive to Zion. It's been on my must do list forever. It's time to make it happen.

Then, September rolls in and it's time for football and fantasy leagues. Soon it will also be baseball play-offs. White Sox better stop stinking it up and take back the lead from the Twins.

Looks like we'll roll with the flow until November, then we're off to San Fransico for another feast. And then, December is Mexico. I guess the end of summer isn't all bad. Still, I'll be sad to see it go.

2 comments:

Jay said...

Soooooo with you on loving what many think is 'hot' weather. I have to say that I also love the fall with cool temps and fires around the campfire, but come winter, fogettaboutit...absolutely pray for spring.

As for the Twinkies? I think this may be the year they actually beat the Yankees in a series...in the playoffs!...just maybe.

Kellee said...

I'm with you, Fall does have its place. It's just a shame it leads to winter. I thought leaving snow behind would make winters more bearable, but the winter blues still strike.

I'd rather see the White Sox take the Twins and the Yanks ;) But if we can't do it, I hope the Twins can.