August 12, 2010

Garden Fresh

I've been spoiled lately by fresh produce. Co-workers have been bringing in their extra bounty. I've recently had wonderfully sweet and juicy peaches, plump tomatoes and the largest zucchini I've seen.

When I was given the zucchini I had no idea what to do with it. I use it most often in kabobs, but that would hardly make a dent in this puppy.

So, I went to allrecipes.com and typed in "zucchini" and searched for a recipe. I found Angel's Pasta, that was it. It was dinner.

I was able to use the garden fresh tomatoes and zucchini, and I also pulled a handful of basil from my own pot. It's the one thing I grew this year. Maybe next year, I'll get my act together and plant a garden before the heat hits? One can hope.

Freshly washed fixings.


8 ounces angel hair pasta
1 tablespoon crushed garlic
2 tablespoon olive oil
2 zucchini, sliced
salt and pepper to taste
3 tomatoes, chopped
12 leaves fresh basil
parmesan cheese

Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente; drain. Meanwhile, heat a medium skillet over medium heat. Pour in oil and saute garlic until golden. Stir in zucchini, salt and pepper. Saute 2 minutes, then mix in tomato and cook a few minutes more. Chop basil and add to vegetables right before mixing with pasta. Combine pasta and vegetables. Top with parmesan.

Voila!


The end result was a bit dry. The recipe as is, is a good foundation. I liked that it was light and fresh tasting. However, it could benefit from a light tomato sauce and I think feta would be a great addition. Will have to tweak it a bit next time to see if it can be a winner.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Loving your blog and it looks like a yummy recipe . Just wanted to say that it looks like you used Roma tomatoes they are great for bruschetta but are not juicy like a regular tomato. Perhaps try regular ones next time?

Kellee said...

Yeah, you're right a juicier tomato would have been better. Roma was what I had on hand. I appreciate the tip.