September 30, 2010

A Pho First

Earlier this week I had nothing at home to bring for lunch, so I knew it'd be take out. My throat was sore and my sinuses were wonky so I thought it'd be a good time to try Pho. Da Lat is a place practically around the corner. So I called in an order for pho tai. Drove over and minutes and $7 later I was back at my desk with this...





I dumped all the fixings into the broth and had myself a tasty concoction.



It was fun to see the beef cook before your eyes. I will definitely get it again! I'll have to dine in and explore more Vietnamese treats.

6 comments:

Hurricane Mikey said...

That looks good, but I think the Hot Rock stuff at Stack is more fun to watch cooking.

Can you adjust the spice on that stuff? I've never had it, but I think I'd like it if it were kinda spicy.

Hoya said...

The broth itself tends to be savory but not hot/spicy. So you can add heat with the peppers and hot sauce you add. I don't like the peppers, so my pho tends to be "gentler". I love vietnamese food!! Such lovely flavor combos, and so pretty :-)

Kellee said...

Ooh yeah, the hot rocks are fun!

Part of the fun of pho is tweaking the flavors to your taste. They gave me hoisin and siracha to sweeten or heat it up. I like spicy, too. Siracha it was.

It's simple but darn tasty, I'm contemplating having it again for lunch today. My throat is sore again, it fixed me up last time...

I'm anxious to try more. Any recs for particular dishes, Kelly?

Hoya said...

I'm a big fan of shrimp & basil summer rolls - a lovely vietnamese salad in a rice wrapper. I make them myself but they're never pretty. It's easier for me to make a "summer roll salad". I'm a fan of noodle dishes, especially with shrimp or prawns....

Hoya said...

Also - a great soup for cooler weather is Tom Ka Gai (it's thai) Chicken & coconut milk with some heat. So good! This recipe is pretty good! http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/adriennes-tom-ka-gai/Detail.aspx

Kellee said...

I have had Tom Ka Gai. Very tasty! I actually haven't had a Thai dish I didn't like.