February 9, 2011

Chicken Tenders

Frank requested a healthy version of chicken tenders be added to the dinner menu. I searched for recipes online and didn't find any that were an exact match for what I was thinking so I winged it and came up with a pretty tasty result.



I cut two boneless skinless chicken breasts into smaller tender like pieces. Then, I put them in a bath of buttermilk and spices (salt, pepper, thyme, onion and garlic powder). I let it marinate for 30 minutes. I imagine longer would be good, too. Meanwhile, I crushed corn flakes. I removed the tenders from the buttermilk one by one letting the excess drip off and then dredged each one in the cornflake crumbles. I lined a cookied sheet with foil, and added a wire rack. I sprayed the rack with non-stick cooking spray. I placed the cornflaked coated tenders on the rack. I baked them for 25 minutes in a 400 degree preheated oven.

The come out crisp and juicy. The first time I made them, I served 'em with Bull's Eye BBQ sauce, it's was the only sauce I found without High Fructose Corn Syrup, sugar is actually used. I've been loyal to Sweet Baby Ray's so it was hard to get used to the new BBQ taste. On a recent visit to Fresh & Easy, Frank found their Hot & Spicy BBQ Sauce has sugar, as well. I gave that a try last night and it was good. It's my new preferred BBQ sauce. I served the tenders with broccolini sauteed with garlic. All in all, it's a tasty, easy to prepare healthy meal.

No comments: