October 6, 2010

Cerveza por favor

Finally, we're booked for Mexico. Again. What a nightmare! It's been a hellacious month of checking flights, but we're all set. That's what matters most. We even booked an extra night, we deserve it after all this hassle. In two months, we'll be swaying in the hammock listening to the waves crash on the beach. I cannot wait. I also can't wait to sink my teeth into all the wonderfully delicious Mexican treats and fresh seafood.

Those are the thoughts that kept me going during the great fare search. Seriously, I've never had a worse time planning a trip. I kept finding low fares on Orbitz, but when I'd go to book the price would increase. I learned later than Spirit Airlines was to blame. Delta gave me a bunch of headaches with fare changes and flight times. Yesterday, I found a good price on Spirit. I went to reserve the flights, and they started nickel and diming me left and right. Oh, you want to bring a bag? $30. You want a seat? $10. For each leg of the flight. Just to sit our asses in a seat and bring one bag we tacked on an extra $140 to the fare. Unbelievable. I was livid. I was done.

It would have to be US Air or Delta. Delta had a slightly better price and better flight times. I couldn't book yesterday because I was waiting for the hotel to confirm availability. First thing this morning the identical flight now cost $100 more per person. They jerked me around for the last time. In a huff, I went to US Air and searched for the cheapest flights. I found dates and times I could make work. Waited to hear back from the hotel, and thankfully they had our room available. I quickly reserved the flights. I was thrilled to see that confirmation code!

Mexicana sent me a claim confirmation earlier this week. I'm still clueless as to what will happen. But I certainly hope we'll get our money refunded. That's $600 I'd like back in the bank. The new flights cost an extra $300. It sucks, but it is what it is. When something sounds too good to be true it probably is... Lesson learned.

2 comments:

Hurricane Mikey said...

Sounds like you'll be good and ready for that much-needed vacation once you finally get to Mexico. I'd envy you, but I've got less than three weeks before I leave for my 8-day cruise!

Kellee said...

It's been a couple years since we've gone, it's well over-due.

I'm jealous you only have three weeks until you're enjoying the sweet tropic sun.