February 24, 2010

A well deserved meal

Now that I’m pretty well caught up, let’s discuss this past weekend. Frank worked a gazillion hours, his new responsibilities have him working overtime. Although, Sunday, we did get to share a lovely morning and early afternoon together. We disc golfed at Anthem, and then, worked on the yard, trimming trees and raking old pine needles and fallen leaves. Afterwards, it was time for him to return to work. But we made dinner plans at 8:00 for the Strip House inside Planet Hollywood.

Meanwhile, I wrapped up my spring cleaning. While he’s been slaving away at work, I’ve been doing so at home. I steam cleaned my carpet and battled the heavily trafficked stairs, scrubbed the tile, bath and showers in the bathrooms, mopped the tile and pergo floors, organized cabinets, closets and pantry, did some grocery shopping, hung photos on the walls, attacked my growing pile of items that needed to be sewed, and in my spare time I read a couple magazines and got started on my latest book. It was a productive weekend.

By the time dinner rolled around I needed a nice relaxing hearty meal. Upon arrival we were seated in the corner booth with our backs to the bar. The restaurant had seven parties dining and we were all crammed toward the front of the restaurant - I never understand why that is. Service was terribly slow to start. It had us concerned, but thankfully once the large group beside us was served it improved. Our waiter was attentive the rest of the meal.

The theme throughout Strip House stems from this demask of women silhouettes. It's on the walls, the napkins, the menu, etc...




We snacked on bread while we looked over the menu. After making our selections, we were brought an amuse bouche of potato soup. It was smooth as silk, but it had the starchy potato taste. It puzzled my palette… in a good way.



We had a crab cake to start. It was nicely presented, with lots of crab - it'd better at $17. It was pretty good, but I prefer them spicy. Then our conversation then led to the creation of spicy crabcake sliders. I need to see if I can whip something like that up.


Frank had the rack of lamb and I had the filet, we shared a side of their Romanoff potatoes which were basically mashed au gratin. The steak and lamb were both very good, juicy and tender with a nice crust. The chops were the second best we've had. Aureole remains at the top. Frank enjoyed the potatoes, but they were too sour for my liking.







We skipped dessert. We were pleasantly full. The check came to $125 before tip. It was a fine meal. Strip House has a sexy classic steakhouse feel. I’m glad we gave it a try, I imagine it’s fate is unknown with Harrah’s taking over Planet Hollywood.

2 comments:

Jay said...

The food looks terrific! Yum! I wonder if they cram everyone up front to give passersby the appearance that the place is busy 'so it must be good'? Just a thought. Thanks for the post!

Kellee said...

That could be. It makes sense.

Crowding is a pet peeve of mine when dining out. I much rather have a little privacy than being crammed together like sardines. Especially when most of the restaurant is empty. I like my personal space.