February 5, 2010

Love is a virus without a cure

"Love is a virus without a cure". The quote comes from the HBO documentary, A Family is a Family is a Family. In the film, kids of all ages share their candid and often funny thoughts on family. I enjoyed it.

But that's not what this post is about, instead this morning I came across an AskMen article about Valentine's Day myths. Somehow the title seemed fitting.

Anyway, this article lists 10 Valentine's Day Myths. I found it pretty hilarious, but I can see how it's helpful. I feel bad for all the guys out there that have to face this dreadful day year after year. The holiday is supposed to celebrate love and affection. However, it's not visions of cupids that come to mind, rather it's pressure, disappointment, and bragging rights.

Call me jaded or whatever, but hear me out...

Men feel pressured to purchase their special someone a gift, and rather than getting something meaningful or useful. They freak under pressure and present chocolates and teddy bears to their ladies. Both are readibly available, and every man knows he needs something or he'll suffer his woman's wrath and may never get any (again). This brings about disappointment. Women don't want a teddy bear or chocolates, seriously what does one do with a teddy bear? and chocolates will only make our asses bigger -- nobody wants that. Plus, neither give women bragging rights. That's all they want is something to show and tell, they want to make their friends jealous. Yes, women are catty like that.

I recall one Valentine's Day, I must have been ten, my mom threatened my dad that he had better come home with something for her. It was a blizzard outside. Still he was mindful or maybe just scared to death, he threw on his parka and walked the mile to the florist. He bought her flowers that sat in Snoopy's house, with Snoopy attached to the front. The flowers died and so did their marriage eight or so years later, but Snoopy lived on. Maybe stuffed animals do serve some purpose, a reminder? Anytime I see Snoopy I think of that Valentine's Day. Weird, I know.

Frank and I celebrated the first two Valentine's Days, but then we out grew it, or just grew comfortable with each other. Either way, it was no longer a big deal. We did special things with regularity and showed our love and affection daily. A designated day to do it seemed silly. You might have already guessed I disagree with Myth 1...

Next week is our twelve Valentine's Day together. Normally, it would be like any other day. But Sunday, we're seeing "O" at Bellagio. We've been wanting to see the show for years, but last month was the first time locals specials were offered. I choose the 14th because I'm off the following day and it's after football season. I thought we'd celebrate having Sundays together again. It wasn't until I started thinking about dinner reservations that made me realize it was Valentine's Day. Michael Mina or Le Cirque will have to wait. I'm not fine dining on Valentine's Day. I'd rather make a nice dinner at home and then go to the show. I'll take a raincheck on dinner. We'll have to celebrate another Sunday at somepoint.

No comments: