February 10, 2010

Tough Cookies

I’m pretty thankful I’m not going to Chicago this weekend, like I had originally planned. They’ve been hit with snow and blustery cold temps. I’m quite pleased that I’ll be home enjoying the dry spell we have forecasted. My jolly good friend also known as sunshine will be sticking around for awhile. Boy! Have I missed it! I plan on soaking up all I can this weekend while enjoying the warmer temps, too. We might even see the mercury reach 70 degrees. Now we are talking, this is why I moved to the desert.

I treasure the shortened winters, perfect extended spring and fall, and even the scorching summers rarely bother me anymore. That year in Laughlin really thinned out my blood. Amazing how weeks of 120 degrees days recalibrates your internal temperature.

Chicago will wait. I’m thinking about a trip in July. Although, that’ll likely be an awful time weather-wise. Hot and humid. Mosquitos. Good times.

Although, family and friends are probably wishing for summer about now… Freezing temps and blizzard-like conditions… If I had to scrape my car and shovel. I’d be welcoming July, too.

I give ‘em credit, though. They are tough cookies. I remember those brutal winter storms, snow, ice, negative temps. All my years in school, I never had a snow day. Once, school was closed because the pipes froze, but otherwise it was come hell or high water it was business as usual. As an adult, I worked for a furniture retail store. Our doors always remained open. You’d be surprised how many folks braved the storms to purchase or pick up furniture. It always boggled my mind. There was one time, though, that we closed temporarily because of a tornado. I think we had at least one angry customer as a result. Really? You can’t wait until the funnel clouds pass to get your recliner.

Flooding, blizzards, tornadoes, freezing temps, heat waves, they don’t get much of a break. They only steer clear of hurricanes and earthquakes. Scratch that, just hurricanes. They had a 4.3 quake in Kane County (50 miles west of Chicago) overnight. It’s the second one since we moved in 2003. How wild is that? I’ve never felt the ground shake. Not in Chicago or Las Vegas. Thankfully, not in California, either. I admit I was a bit nervous in Coit Tower and going over the Golden Gate, while in San Fran, last year.

5 comments:

Jay said...

Oh, you've touched a nerve! It sounds like you moved west for the very same reason I'd like to one day. Living in Minnesnowta is brutal come winter time. I enjoy spring/early summer and fall, definitely fall. But winter and hot/humid summer, no thanks!

I booked a trip with two friends to Laughlin for the end of March. You've gotta love Don Laughlin (a Minnesnowtan, no less!) for offering $179 air and hotel packages. Thank you Don!

Ok, time for some dinner...enjoy your weather!

Tara said...

Ugg Chicago would be the pits right now! I'm down in Columbus and we're under at least 18" of snow. I can't even imagine what it's probably like up there right now... July will be better, mosquitoes or not :)

Kellee said...

Minnesota had the coldest temps I've ever felt, plus a blizzard and an ice storm. Visiting Minneapolis/Red Wing right before Christmas wasn't one of our brightest ideas.

You are going to love Laughlin in March. It is GORGEOUS!!

Yeah, my mom saved me on this one. She's the one who said I was nuts for wanting to visit over President's Day weekend. It was then we agreed to share the cost of getting Amy and Nicky out here for a visit.

They should be in for a treat when they visit at the end of the month.

Jay said...

I've very excited for Laughlin! I think my ideal home would be somewhere in that area overlooking the Colorado River - it is so beautiful and appears so clean.

Kellee said...

Laughlin doesn't offer much near the river, but there are quite a fews homes that offer river views. Bullhead City does have homes right on the river, with boat docks.

It is a beautiful area. It has the small-town feel, but most of the big-town convenience are available in Bullhead. The summer heat is the only downside. Winter is beautiful, it feels like Spring.