December 22, 2008

Most of the snow has melted

We're due for more precipitation this afternoon, but thankfully, temperatures have warmed up and we should not see snow fall in the valley. Chances are the mountains will get a nice dusting. Which I'm totally good with, I love snow - from a distance - the snow covered mountains are just beautiful to see.

We had a great weekend. Frank and Bob went off-roading on Friday, they went to Potato Ridge in Red Rock and by Trail 9 between Summerlin and the town of Blue Diamond. They encountered about 8" of snow and came across a number of snowmen, even a snow frog. Bob made snow angels. He took pictures, I told him he has to share them with me when he gets home.

Saturday, I was able to go off-roading with them. We hit trails near the house. Most of the snow had melted. It wasn't a very clear day, but I managed to get some shots of snow covered mountains out toward Henderson. My photos didn't upload properly so I'll have to share those later. We found caves, we played in the wash and did some shooting. It wasn't all fun and games, though. We also got a flat tire, a rock scraped up against the side wall. Shockingly, we found a slab of concrete in the middle of the desert that made the changing of the tire fairly easy. It was a bit of a miracle.

Saturday night we had dinner at Japonais inside Mirage. Dinner was tasty. We had eel and avocado, and shrimp and salmon maki to start. Then, Bob had tuna for an entree, Frank had duck and I had shrimp and scallop skewers. We also had sides of truffle potato puree and broccolini in butter and lime. All was great, except the broccolini. We all agreed mine version (I made it the night before) is better. After dinner, we made football bets at TI. My pick of the week was the Titans. I let Frank convince me to bet a money line parlay with the Patriots, Houston and the Jets, instead of a straight up bet. I was kicking myself once I realized that it was the final home game for Seahawks coach (Houston was a bad call, too). Fortunately, Frank's parlay card came in, said and done we made $5.

Sunday was all about football. We hosted a party. Served munchies and pulled pork sandwiches for lunch. And Oreo Truffles for dessert. The white chocolate ones were a bigger hit than the chocolate. I used chips instead of baking chocolate. After the games we had dinner at Amore. Then, we went bowling at Southpoint. I have my own ball, at one point Bob asked how long I've had it. My initial reaction was not long, but then I thought about it, it was a Christmas gift from Frank about 9 years ago. How'd that happen? Time sure does sneak up on you.

All in all, it was a fun visit. Bob is currently on his way back to Louisville.

Frank and I will be checking out the opening of Encore tonight and we'll be staying at Treasure Island. It should be a good time.

No comments: