December 6, 2011

Taking a Bite of Dirt

I'm pretty sure I mentioned before that I never made it out for the deals offered on Black Friday. I was too tired so I stayed home and spent additional time with Nicky and my dad. I slept in my warm bed, while my mom and siblings shopped until they dropped. The decision to stay home was easily made after perusing the sale ads, the only item to make my wish list was the Shark mop. The Kindle caught my eye, but $79? I can get that price every day on Amazon.

I gave my sister cash for the mop, and asked her to buy it if she could get her hands on one. When I woke Friday morning there was the Shark. I guess it was no trouble at all. Considering they even snagged mom a 46" LCD TV for less than $300. That took much patience and persistence on my brother's behalf, he camped out for a couple hours before the doors opened. Anyway, back to the Shark. It stayed in its box until Sunday.



My house was long overdue for a deep cleaning, there was no better time to try it out. Assembly was a breeze. There is a note about homes with hard water, deposits can build up so distilled water is recommended. Fortunately, I keep it on hand to maintain Frank's humidor. The reservoir doesn't take much water. That's one complaint, I had to refill a few times to finish the floors. However, I'd guess this size is adequate for average size spaces.

My lower level consists of the laundry room, kitchen, dining room, family room, bathroom, and bedroom. All of these rooms are tiled. The sunroom was an addition and there is pergo flooring in there. Mop and bucket washing is time consuming, back breaking and just plain exhausting. I was ready for a short cut.

The Shark mop S3505 heats up quickly. Less than minute and it'll be nice and steamy. Cleaning goes quickly. The pad is fairly large and the mop makes large strokes. For tough spots, you can pump the handle for a steam surge. This works well for sticky spots that dirt loves to cling to. Two microfiber cloths are included. I needed both to clean my floors. They are easy to put on and take off. You toss the soiled pads in the wash to clean for their next use. I doubt they have a long life. I've already ordered additional cloths from Amazon.

The mop cleans without any chemicals. This is particularly nice for me because I'm allergic to Phenol which is in most household cleaners. The less I come in contact with it, the more my skin thanks me. It was great to do without the redness and dry hands I usually experience after mopping the floor.

The Shark has earned its place in my bag of (cleaning) tricks right next to my carpet steamer, vinegar, CLR, Bleach, Shout gel, SOS Pads and Magic Erasers. Armed with those tools my laundry and home can be squeaky clean with ease.

No comments: