December 5, 2011

The Main Attraction: Bears vs Raiders

Sunday, I told the family if they got up early enough we'd ride the cable car and see Chinatown, but they snoozed. I got up about 8 o'clock. My plan was to shower, ride the F Street car to the Ferry Building arrive at 9:00. Gather my goodies, have a small feast at the hotel, pack and we'd leave for Oakland. Dad joined me, we left Mike and Amy to continue their slumber. All went well until we got to the Ferry Building. It was dead. Hardly a creature was stirring. Ah, they must get a late start on Sundays. I suggest we check out the bay and kill an hour, surely the shops would open at 10:00. Acme breads did. I loaded up with snacks, and treats for my mom and Frank. We stopped by the Alfieri Fruits & Nuts kiosk, we loaded up on varieties of nuts and Almond brittle. Yum! I desperately wanted Stonehouse Olive Oil to open, we never check our luggage when we fly so we've never been able to bring home their delicious dipping oil. I drove this trip and all I could think is I can finally bring home treats! Same goes for meats from Boccalone and Golden Gate Meat Co. We waited until 10:45 and no one opened. Boccalone taunted me a bit, opening their gates, but they wouldn't start slicing for platters until 11:00. We could not wait. We had a football game to get to. I called Amy and told her to pack us up and get our belongings into the car. Time was running out.

We tossed our finds into the car, grabbed the tickets for the game and we were hopped on the F Street Car to Market/Drumm so we could take the BART to Oakland. The hardest part was loading the exact fare on four seperate cards, we missed the first train because dad and Amy wanted a smoke break. We caught the next one, and we crossed the bay in a jiffy. I was surprised how fast we went. A few stops later, we arrived at our destination, Oakland Coliseum.



The lines to get in were ridiculous because of the lengthy security checks. They divided us men from women. The men out numbered us, so for once, us ladies got through the line faster. A rarity since we almost always have a bag or purse. Amy and I waited for dad and Mike. Finally, we reunited and we got into the stadium just as Oakland kicked their first field goal. Our seats were in section 149, 20 rows from the field. Everyone was on their feet and it was the loudest football game I've experienced - we only sat during half-time and time-outs. Oakland fans are loud and proud!



Chicago fans were present, but far outnumbered.



We were torn, we didn't know who to root for, it was a crutial win for both teams. And we grew up rooting for both, our mom is a huge Bears fan, and it was dad's favorite behind the Raiders. He's been a fan since the 70's. This was his first football game. Amy and Mike's, too, for that matter. I knew Frank and mom would root for the Bears. Dad wanted the Raiders to win, Amy was completely torn and Mike bet the over. I rooted for Mike to win. A high scoring game would be a win for me. I find them to be the most entertaining to watch. I cheered mostly for the Raiders, but also for the Bears whenever they snagged a big play.





























The game was nearing the end and we began to wonder if dad would get to see the Raiders score a touchdown. Janikowski just kept kicking field goals, so many he actual broke a team record with six. Once dad witnessed that record breaking kick, I hoped for touch down. After 40 years of being a fan he just had to see one live. And he did. Mike won his bet soon after.



Oakland fans have a rough reputation. So much so we went sporting Raiders wear, despite having some love for the Bears. We didn't know what to expect and we certainly didn't want any trouble. Oakland curses more than any other city I've been. They also smoke up in the bathroom, whacky and regular tabacco. Plus, they sneak hits in stands. Many fans are cocky, some douchy as all get out... Like the guy next to Amy. He starts with "Fuck you, Bears Fans!" He hogs the aisle taking up his and Amy's space. He got totally tanked he napped 3rd quarter and the 4th we feared he'd puke on us. But most are just there to share the love of the game and display pride in their team.



In the end, Raiders won. They played a better game than the Bears.





We fought the crowds out of the stadium to make our way back to the BART station. It was quite the bottle neck until we made it across the bridge. They brought in large trains to get us out and on our way in a hurry. Since we pre-paid the round trip fare we avoided the massive ticket lines, we hopped on board and we made great time back to San Francisco.

We stopped back at the Ferry Building, I was hopeful I could snag my much desired goodies, but only Cowgirl Creamery was open. That's never a bad thing, we sampled a few cheeses and brought a couple home to enjoy. We were pretty hungry so we tried to decided on one last meal. After some debate, I suggested Amy and Mike get In-N-Out and dad and I get seafood from the carts in the Wharf. We did just that. While Mike and Amy ate double doubles we dug into crab and shrimp cocktail. It was my first time trying the carts, it was fresh and tasty. You get a fair amount for $9. With our hunger curbed we loaded into the car and set off for home.

I drove from San Francisco to Bakersfield hitting massive fog the last 40 miles wore me out. Not too mention it was already 12:15 when we stopped for gas. I moved to the backseat and dad took the wheel. He drove us the rest of the way while I slept. It was 4:30 when we pulled into the driveway. I practically sleepwalked up to bed trying to get as many winks in as possible before my alarm sounded at 6:15. Thankfully, the rest of the family took on the task of unloading the car.

The trip was a success even if I didn't get to show them all the sights. That just leaves an excuse for them to return and explore on their own. Meanwhile, Frank and I are counting down the days until our next taste. 48... 47...

No comments: