June 21, 2010

The Offspring

Mike, Frank and I were back at the Hard Rock for another concert on Friday. This time it was The Offspring at The Joint. After experiencing serious sticker shock at the pool last week, we brought a few beers with us to enjoy before the show. It was a nice surprise that plastic cups were handed out so we could bring our drinks inside the venue. Once inside bud was $5 and widmer was $6. In my opinion, it was well worth the extra buck.

The new Joint is a great venue. It has a large open floor plus an area for seating and balconies above the stage. The setup is great there seemed to be a clear shot of the stage from every vantage point.

We missed the first band, Battle Born. They wrapped as we entered. We stood near the stage and waited for the next band, Terrible Things. They were terrible. This was their first time playing in LV, their stage presence was awful, not sure if was nerves or what.

The Offspring took forever to take the stage, but once they did, it was on! They opened with "You're Gonna Go Far, Kid" one of my favorites! The crowd went apeshit! Mosh pits broke out to our right (even a kid in a wheelchair went nuts in the pit). Frank let them bounce off of him to protect me. We were about 6 rows back center stage. We made it through a couple more songs but the mosh pits were just insane for "Bad Habit", Frank wore sandals without thinking - his toes were getting stepped on left and right and I was too paranoid about my ankle to enjoy myself so we bailed. We moved toward the left of the stage about 20 rows back. We could still see the band and I was safe so we could all relax. They played all their old stuff, I felt like I was 18 again. They've gotten old, but so have I. Still, they rocked it out. It was a great time! And a good crowd... ages from 20's to 50's. Even saw a first... that kid in the wheelchair that was moshing went crowd surfing, too.

We have one more concert at Hard Rock this Friday. We'll be seeing Slightly Stoopid at the pool, the show is part of the Legalize It Tour. Kinda ironic since I haven't smoked pot since I was 18. I do think it should be legalized, however. Anyway, it'll be our first time seeing Slightly Stoopid. I hope they put on a good show.

3 comments:

Tara said...

Oh how I love some Offspring... I was hoping they would come out here this summer, but I don't think it's gonna happen... I'm looking forward to the Legalize It Tour, especially seeing Cypress Hill... I mean, who doesn't wanna hear stuff like Hits From The Bong? LOL!! Let me know how it is!

Hurricane Mikey said...

When I heard about the show I realized something that I always *knew*, but never thought about--I have never heard a bad song by The Offspring. I like pretty much everything they put out.

Would've liked to have seen the show, but I didn't even hear about it until the last minute, and well, I was doing a double that day anyways...

Kellee said...

Gosh, I haven't heard Cypress Hill in forever. That'll be a fun show.

A double and the show would be rough. It was a great time. I would go see them again. Their stuff is good, I think "Kristy, Are You Doing Okay?" is the only one I'm not thrilled by. The show almost fell off my radar, luckily I caught it about two weeks ago on the list of upcoming shows. I'm pretty sure LV was a last minute add-on to kickstart the tour.