June 18, 2010

Hockey, Soccer and Basketball - Oh my!

I've been inundated with sporting events I could care less about. First was hockey, despite my Chicago roots it mattered none to me that the Blackhawks were in the Stanley Cup. It seemed like playoffs and the final games lasted eons. Frank bet someone at work that the Blackhawks would win it all. So, we tuned into the final minutes of the last game. Talk about anti-climatic, I was nearly bored to tears. Chicago wins! Way to go. Thank you, hockey is over.

The World Cup. Yeah, it's not even a sport. It's an activity. I cannot invest time into a game where there is no clear winner. Yawn.

The NBA, I swear the Lakers and Celtics went to game 7 just to torture me. Last night, we were tired of being cooped up in the house so we went out for dinner. The original plan was PT's (they have such deliciously cold beer). There wasn't even a place to park so we drove over to another location that doesn't often draw a crowd. They were busy, too. PT's sucks when it's busy, service suffers and mugs don't have time to chill. So, we decided on Yard House at Town Square. Every restaurant there was packed to the gills. It was already 8 o'clock when we arrived so we figured the crowds would clear out as soon as the game was over. We grabbed Kronenbourgs while we waited. Only 9-minutes were left on the clock. We stood in a crowd rooting for the Lakers. Frank rooted for the Celtics (A Lakers win would cost the book about 100 grand) and I can guarantee there was no one in that restaurant that cared less about the game than me. I just wanted it to end, so we could sit and eat. Not a moment to soon, the Lakers were victorious. Great! Now where's our table? Two minutes later our buzzer lit like a blue light special at Kmart.

We had a tasty dinner, we tried all new items, we're slowly working our way through the menu. We had crab cakes to start. Frank also ordered French onion soup. Both were fine, but nothing memorable. He had parmesan crusted chicken and I had vodka shrimp pasta. The pasta was delicious, great flavor and tons of shrimp. They weren't even overcooked. It was wonderful. The chicken was decent, but it was not a dish I'd recommend.








We headed home after dinner, but Town Square was such a madhouse it took a good twenty minutes to leave the parking lot. The place only has three exits, insanity. Traffic was ridiculous getting on to I-15 so we took Russell home and nearly got side-swiped by a drunk driver. He was all over the road. We ended up calling it in, I've never done that before. Said and done it took 45 minutes to get home. Normally, it's a 10 minute drive. I guess basketball got the last laugh. I have no doubt all the traffic was a result from people out watching game 7 and celebrating the win.

2 comments:

Jay said...

Have to disagree with your take on soccer. You've lost a fan. Yawn? I suppose the next thing you are going to say is that the Goo Goo Dolls aren't the best band in the world. Bye!

Kellee said...

How did you know the subject of my next post? I kid.

We can agree to disagree. I won't fault you for being a fan of Soccer or the Goo Goo Dolls ;) Heck, I'm pretty certain I'm in the minority for that whole Soccer yawn thing, but I stand by it.