June 15, 2010

Beef Stroganoff

All is quiet on the homefront. It's been a long time since I shared a recipe. I haven't tried anything new in quite sometime - I must remedy that - I've been sticking with a rotation of old favorites. When I moved out on my own at 20 the first recipe I asked my mom for was Beef Stroganoff. The recipe was originally my grandma's (it's hard to believe she's been gone two years next week) it has been one of my favorite dishes since I was a child. I still make it today, however, I've since altered it a bit to make it lighter. I use light sour cream, NY strip steak, and 1 tbsp of butter. The lighter version (pictured) still tastes delicious, it's just not as creamy or rich as the original version (posted below).


Beef Stroganoff

2 lbs round steak
2 c onions
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 c butter
3 tbsp flour
3/4 tsp salt
pepper
1 can beef consume or beef broth
2 tsp dry mustard
1/2 c sour cream
1 small can mushrooms, drained
6 c rice or noodles, cooked

Cut meat into strips ¼” by 2”. Brown in butter, add onions and garlic. Saute. Add flour, salt, pepper, mustard to make a paste. Then add consume to create gravy. Cover pan and keep on low heat for 20 minutes so the meat gets tender. Add mushrooms and sour cream. Heat until it’s hot and well blended. Serve over rice or noodles.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

1/2 cup Butter?

Love your blog. Keep it up

Kellee said...

Nice catch! Yes. 1/2 cup, that was one major fat and calorie laden typo.

Thanks for reading and the kind comment!