October 26, 2009

Stuff on my mind

My mom had gallbladder surgery Friday morning. She waited so long for it, we were really concerned that it wasn’t going to hold out and she’d be forced to have emergency surgery. But her gallbladder was a trooper and it held on until the very end. Her surgery went well; she was released from the hospital Friday afternoon. I drove out to Pahrump straight from work. I stayed the night to lend a hand. I didn’t want Mike to be overwhelmed. She was in a lot of pain, she was sore and nauseated from the pain meds but all that was to be expected. She didn’t have any gas pain symptoms, which was a surprise, since I had awful pains after having my appendix removed. When I left her late Saturday afternoon, she was doing really well. But after I left she was sick from the pain meds and the gas pains finally reared their ugly head. She’s been miserable since, I feel for her. I remember how awful and uncomfortable they were. She also has pain and discomfort from her ruptured discs so it’s not just the surgery that’s causing her trouble. Hopefully, the pains will subside soon.

She happened to get biopsy results on Friday, too. She shows no signs of skin cancer, each came back clear. Such a relief! Now, she just needs her back fixed. She meets with Frank’s back surgeon on Nov. 6. Not much longer and she’ll should be on the road to feeling better.

Saturday night, we went by a friend’s house to watch the UFC fight. The fight means little to me, but it’s always nice to get together with friends.

Sunday my only plans were to get my haircut, clean house, and run errands. The last few weekends have been hectic so I was behind. I nearly accomplished all I hoped. I have two bathrooms left to clean and the floor needs to be mopped. With any luck, I squeeze those in sometime this week. As for my haircut, I wanted a change, I thought now would be a good time to go shorter. It’s getting to cool to cruise in the Firebird without T-tops and we won’t have time to go off-roading until February – both require me to tie my hair back. I went with a chin length bob. It’s much shorter than I anticipated. I’ve never worn my hair so short before it’s going to take time to get used to it. I don’t hate it, but I don’t love it. Frank was shocked. It was one of the few haircuts he’s noticed, though.

Sunday nights are one helluva tv night. Curb your Enthusiasm has been absolutely hilarious this season – vehicular fellatio and second hand semen – some of the funniest moments in comedy history, I swear. Last night’s episode was unexpected, too. So clever and witty, I just love it. Mad Men is wrapping up, only two episodes left. It’s nice to finally start seeing loose ends coming together. Can’t wait to see what else unfolds. Californication, Hank is such a whore. How many women can he juggle? As for Dexter, it seems so odd to root for a serial killer, but I find myself doing it week after week, season after season.

Cold weather is on its way. Wednesday’s high is supposed to be 58 degrees. What a cruel joke, October is usually perfect weather month. This year it hasn’t earned that title. It’s been cold, it’s been hot, it’s been windy.

Halloween is Saturday. Unreal. This year has flown. We won’t be home for trick or treaters. We’ll be at the Speedway for NHRA and then we’re getting together with friends that are in town from Chicago. No firms plans, but it’ll be fun to catch up.

Do I seem wiser? Evidently I am. My first wisdom tooth has made an appearance. It’s terribly annoying. My next dentist appointment is scheduled for December. I’m not sure of I can wait that long. I’ve always been slow to get teeth. I remember I was 13, I had 6 baby teeth pulled because I could lose them on my own. I was pretty old before I got my first tooth, too. It’s no wonder I’m nearly 30 before my first wisdom tooth broke through.

Only a couple weeks left until vacation! I need to get a list of good eats together and places to see. I’m so excited to experience San Francisco!

I think that’s about it. Until next time…

No comments: