September 17, 2008

Wishing I was in Mexico

Yesterday, I went to wash my hands after getting home from work. There was no water. Tried the bathroom sink, no water there, either. Checked the front door to see if there were any notices. Nothing. I looked up the number to the Water District and gave them a call. It was 5:03, their offices close at 5:00. Perfect. I called the emergency hotline. Turns out, they haven't received payment since June 6th. We haven't received any notifications or bills, and we've had water so I never thought anything of it. I did pay water reclamation, but evidently that was strictly for the sewers. At our condo, our water was included in our HOA dues so we never dealt with the Water District. When we set up our utilities it never crossed by mind to call them, too. I was able to pay the past due amount over the phone, but our water won't be turned on until sometime today. Such a pain in the ass. It's been sometime since I was without water, I really take it for granted. I felt like I was in Mexico this morning brushing my teeth with bottled water. However, instead of sitting on the white powdery beach under the bright sun, listening to waves crash. I'm stuck staring at my beige office walls under the glow of the florescent lights, listening to phones ringing, printers printing and typing of keyboards. Somehow, it's just not the same.

Fortunately, we didn't intend to have dinner at home last night. We had dinner plans with friends at TC's Rib Crib. It had been a few months since we had been there. The ribs were tasty, although, a bit fatty. I also had sweet potato fries and mac & cheese. Yum!

After dinner I mentioned to Frank that I wanted to try Frozen Aces (Tropicana/Ft Apache). They serve fruit ice and gelati. The folks at chowhound have been singing praises about the place since it opened at the end of May. They make different flavors of fruit ice daily. We sampled blue raspberry, kiwi strawberry banana, and the custard. Frank went with custard. I got gelati, a blend of custard and fruit ice. I chose the blue raspberry. It was refreshing and delicious.

No comments: