August 20, 2008

Review: Cafe Heidelberg

Last night, the in-laws, and I had dinner with Frank’s uncle Phil, cousin Lauren, and her boyfriend George. We dined at Café Heidelberg. It is likely the most authentic German restaurant Vegas has to offer. One woman, Ana, waits on the tables then the rest of the family cooks in back. There's also a small store attached which sells German goodies. There were four Wienerschnitizels ordered, Frank's dad had a farmers platter which offered a sampling of sausages, and I had Jaegerschnitizel. My dish is basically a pork cutlet smothered in a mushroom wine sauce with onion, I had cucumber salad and spaetzle for my sides and I started the meal with marble rye and Bavarian potato soup. For dessert, we had apple strudel with vanilla sauce. There was plenty of grub to go around and everyone thought the meal was good, but service was slow and became non-existent as the restaurant filled. Ana apologized profusely, but service continued to suffer. Dinner took over two hours. It’s definitely not a place to visit if you're in any type of hurry. Otherwise, it's a good choice for German cuisine. I thought the food was far better than at Hofbräuhaus, also the atmosphere is far more relaxed and quaint. They offer a large beer selection as well. I sampled Spaten lager and a Spaten Optimator. Both were quite good. Next time I get the hankering for German food I wouldn’t hesitate to return, I’d just hope to catch them on a less busy night.

Side note: Phil and I both had Entertainment Cards, which allow you to get one entrée free with the purchase of another. We were able to use both on the same check. I thought that was nice.

No comments: