July 29, 2009

A treat!

Frank called me at work yesterday asking about dinner. I had grilled pork chops planned, he was thinking Delmonico. We compromised and decided on Stratta. My mom gave me belated birthday cash last week to put towards a meal. With the Taste of Wynn special, Stratta was a perfect fit.

I headed over to Wynn directly from work. I had an hour to kill before Frank would meet me for our reservation. I thought gambling would pass the time. It did for about eight minutes. I played Jacks or Better video poker and video keno. I don't know why I bother? I was down thirty bucks, I surrendered. I didn't see my luck changing. I walked around the restaurants checking out menus to pass the time. Okada has an Imperial Peking Duck Tasting Menu for $89/pp. What a great splurge that would be?

On to dinner, Frank arrived and we were seated just after 5:30. I selected calamari, sea scallops and chocolate toffee cake. Frank chose Caesar salad, bucatini amatriciana and tiramisu. We started with fresh bread, cheesy crackers, and delicious pesto.

The Caesar was fine, but lacked anything special. The calamari was thick cuts, reminscent of fries. Tender and delicious, we especially enjoyed the remoulade sauce. The scallops were a bit different than what I've had previously, they are now served with asparagus, pea shoots and sweet corn. The dish is still wonderful. The bucatini was quite good, the pasta was al dente and had a fair amount of spice. I thought it'd be better if it were hotter, but that'd be too much for most palettes.

Next up desserts... What can I say? They are pure bliss. The pastry chef won the award for the second year in a row for best desserts. I taste why in every bite. Frank still says he's going to cheat on me with her. I said as long as he comes home with cake. I'm okay with it. The meal was a steal at $99. I suspect we'll be back soon, perhaps while Frank's parents are visiting?

No comments: