July 22, 2009

Time out

Funny how kids dread time out and adults beg for it.

Eleven days straight of go-go-going wore this girl out. By the time Monday rolled around I was beat. It didn't help matters that my allergies were giving me fits. The last two days when not at work you could find me in bed. Frank and I have been glued in front of the tv clearing out the dvrs. We've also had ourselves a Mad Men marathon. I tuned into Mad Men shortly before season two began, last year, but Frank hadn't seen an episode until recently. We finished season one last night, season two is on the dvr and season three will air August 16. So, we'll be ready with a rye and gimlet in hand, and an endless supply of cigs at arms reach. Okay, not really. But we will be set.

Tomorrow, a friend arrives, she has a quickie 30-hour trip planned. She'll stay with us. We intend to hit Fremont Street right after the airport, relax in the hot tub before catching a few winks, and then on Friday we'll have dinner at Fiamma and meet up with other friends in town to celebrate a lucky couple's upcoming nuptials. It should be fun.

No clue what's on tap for the weekend aside from time with the family. We've yet to make plans. Time is winding down, though, only two more weekends left before Amy and Nicky return to Chicago.

The day they leave Frank's parents arrive so we still have a while before we settle back into familiar routines.

After all our visitors leave, Frank and I will have one weekend together before he starts his football season schedule (mon/tues off - leaves us with no common day off). We're thinking of camping in Utah. I want to see the Arches, Zion or Bryce. It'd be nice to scratch one off the bucket list. It'll be here before I know it so I should start researching options.

Tonight the family will come by, I'm thinking maybe we'll take Nicky to another park. If not, we'll stay home and swim. Nicky amazes me with how well he does in the water. He started with jumping, then he learned to hold his breath, and eventually mastered going under on his own. He thinks waving to each other underwater is just the greatest. This past weekend, we worked on swimming, he'll now jump in and swim to us. All without inflatables, I should note. Amy picked him up one of the life jacket bodysuit/swim trunk combos and it's allowed him to learn the movements and provide some security. We had to build his confidence, but he's done really well in a short time, especially since he's only two.

Got less than an hour before they arrive, I better rest up, time out is nearly over.

No comments: