July 9, 2009

Review: Bonjour Bakery

This morning I dodged out of the house to make it to the doctor for allergy shots before work. I didn’t leave myself enough time to put together a decent lunch, so I grabbed a Three-Cheese Ziti by Smart Ones. It’s my go-to frozen meal.

By the time lunch rolled around that Ziti was the last thing under the sun I wanted to eat. Just the thought of it turned my stomach. I debated whether or not I was going to be too lazy to go out and grab something. Fortunately, the ill stomach was enough motivation to get me off my ass and away from my desk.

What to eat? What to eat?

I wanted a sandwich. All that is right near by is Subway. Yuck. I thought about it for a bit and decided to try Bonjour Bakery. It’s been on my radar for a long time. Heck, I used to drive by it daily, but for whatever reason I never made it there until today.

It’s a cute bakery in a rundown strip mall. There are tables outside and inside if you opt to dine in. Inside there is a wall of breads, cases that house pastries and desserts, and across the way they have a few grocery items. I looked over the menu and drooled over desserts, while I waited to place my order. The tiramisu and lemon meringue were real beauties.

I settled on a half a salami and cheese sandwich on a baquette, and a croissant. How can you visit a French bakery and not try the croissant afterall?

The sandwich was pretty tasty, but I found it odd that it came with roast beef. Especially when I didn’t notice beef anywhere on the menu, whatever, it too was good. I wasn’t blown away, and I'd chose a Siena Deli sandwich over it anytime, but it hit the spot. It was surely better than that Ziti I originally planned on.

The croissant was a bit dry, a disappointment really. I bet they are better early morning when they are nice and fresh.

Lunch came to eight dollars and some change. Not terribly priced. I doubt I’ll rush back for a sandwich, but I do want to pop back to try a few desserts sometime.

2 comments:

KathyinNY said...

I'm surprised you do not like Subway subs. For 5 bucks you could have had a better sandwich. Their breads are fresh and they supply plenty of meat and condiments of your choice. Well maybe the Subways there are not as good as they are here in NY.

Kellee said...

I've never been a Subway fan. I think the bread has an odd taste. I'm a sandwich snob. I like the freshest ingredients (crisp lettuce, red tomatoes, etc) and prefer deli meats and cheeses sliced fresh for me.

Out of all the chain sandwiches shops I've tried, the only one I like is Jersey Mikes.

I'm picky. The only fast food I'll eat is In & Out. That's hardly fast food.