January 20, 2009

Rotisserie Chicken

It's my latest and greatest find. I have no idea why it took me so long to try these. They're cheap, less than $5 at Walmart and Sam's Club, moist, flavorful and super convenient. I get about 5 meals out of each bird. Seriously, they're the greatest things since sliced bread.

As soon as I get one home, I shred it and divide it into two bags, one for the fridge and the other for the freezer. I've hardly made a dent in the possibilities, but here's what I've done with the chicken so far.

I make chicken garden salads throughout the week for lunch.

Chicken sandwiches are tasty for lunch or dinner.

Chunky Chicken Vegetable Soup, is also great to make over the weekend and have leftovers for lunch throughout the week. Serve with crusty bread for a filling meal.

One Pot Noodles with Chicken and Broccoli is easier than ever to prepare.

And last night, I made the following recipe. It was good, although, a bit dry, next time I'll add some chicken stock at the end to deglaze the pan and moisten the chicken and potatoes. I made Sauteed Broccolini with Garlic to complete the meal.

Herbed Chicken and Potato Skillet Dinner

1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 large baking potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2" dice (I left the skins on)
1/2 onion, diced
1/2 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
1 1/2 c diced cooked skinless chicken breast
6 tbsp FF sour cream
1 tbsp Dijon Mustard
1 tsp thyme
1 tsp crumbled dried sage
2 tbsp chopped fresh chives

Heat oil in large non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add the potatoes, onion, salt and pepper, tossing to coat. With a spatula press down gently on mixture. Cover and cook until the potatoes are nearly soft and lightly browned on the bottom, about 8 minutes; check every few minutes to make sure that the potatoes aren't sticking (if they are, give them a light stir).

Stir chicken, sour cream, mustard, thyme, and sage. Press the mixture down again with the spatula, reduce the heat to medium-low, and continue cooking, occasionally scraping up the mixture to prevent burning, until the potatoes are soft and nicely browned on the bottom, about 15 minutes. Sprinkle with chives.

1 cup serving: 275 calories, 6 g fat, 1 g saturated fat, 0 trans fat, 45 mg cholesterol, 463 mg sodium, 35 g carbohydrates, 3 g fiber, 20 g protein, 64 mg calcium. 5 WW points.

No comments: