October 29, 2008

Dreaming of Xpu-ha

Yesterday, I got notice that flights I’ve been tracking to CUN, Mexico had dropped. I found very reasonable fares during a week in December. I checked availability at Al Cielo, our dates are open. Checked rates for a rental, it’ll run $50 for the week. I emailed Frank with the info saying I know it’s not likely, but a girl can dream, right?

Later, after dinner, (which was tasty by the way. I made Grilled Beer Chicken, recipe to follow) we went to Trader Joe’s to stock up on all kinds of goodies. We were near the dairy case and I asked Frank if he wanted yogurt (TJ’s is the only place I’ve found plain similar to what we get in MX)? He said, nah, I’ll wait to have it in Mexico. I grinned from ear-to-ear and replied, SO, there is a chance… He said, yes! The lower fares make the trip affordable. We just have to wait to see if taking time off will be a problem. He starts his new job today, so hopefully we’ll know fairly soon. We just might find ourselves relaxing on the beach before year’s end, after all. Yay!

From Xpu-ha

And the recipe, as promised:

Grilled Beer Chicken with Potato Slabs


One 12-ounce can or bottle beer, at room temperature
1/2 cup butter, melted and cooled
2 cloves garlic, smashed
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 tablespoon brown sugar
2 teaspoons salt, plus more for sprinkling
6 chicken drumsticks (about 1 1/2 pounds)
2 baking potatoes
Olive oil, for drizzling
Lime wedges, for serving

In a resealable plastic bag, combine the beer, butter, garlic, chili powder, brown sugar and salt. Add the drumsticks, seal the bag and let marinate while you proceed.

Preheat a grill or grill pan to high. Microwave the potatoes on high until slightly softened, about 5 minutes. Slice the potatoes lengthwise about 1/4-inch thick. Drizzle both sides generously with olive oil.

Transfer the chicken and potatoes to the grill. Grill the drumsticks, brushing with the beer marinade and turning occasionally, until the skin is golden and crisp and the juices run clear, 20 to 25 minutes Meanwhile, grill the potatoes until grill marks appear, about 3 minutes on each side. Transfer to a plate and sprinkle with salt. Serve the chicken and potatoes with the lime wedges.

Note: I cut the recipe in half and used chicken breasts in lieu of drumsticks. I didn't make potatoes. Instead, we had jalapeno cheese bread and corn for sides.

No comments: