January 29, 2012

Blue Skies Smiling on Me

Wednesday, we had to pack up and check out. Boo. Fortunately, we pretty much had a full day ahead of us. After dropping our bag - yes, bag, thanks to my mad packing skills - off at the Bell Desk, our first stop was one last visit to see Young. We had the perfect sandwich! A turkey club with avocado on dutch crunch. Young gave us pasta and potato salad, too. Then, when we tried to pay she said it was her treat. We got some truffles from next door and shared with her. We said so long until next time, then we hopped on the cable car to Market so we could catch a ride to the Castro. From there, we caught a bus to take us up to Twin Peaks.

Google Maps sucks sometimes and it told us to get off too soon. So, we walked up hundreds of steep ass stairs. It was quite the work out. But finally, we caught a glimpse of our reward.

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

We took a short rest to enjoy the view and catch our breath and then we pressed on up the hill. It's a short hike, and had we rode the bus up to the last stop it would've been cake. But we took the long way, not to mention, I haven't exercised in 5 months. This was my first outing putting my ankle to the test. Heck, it was my first vacation in months out of a boot. I made it, though! The views were amazing. I can't think of a better way to take my ankle for a test drive. 360 degree views on a beautiful day!

the other peak...

Watching fog roll in near Golden Gate was a treat.

After a good look around we climbed down and caught the bus down from the hilltop rather than taking all those stairs. Needless to say, it was much easier returning to the Castro. We walk over to Ike's Place. We split an Elvis Keith, it was damn tasty. Halal chicken, teriyaki, wasabi mayo, swiss and a squirt of sriracha on dutch crunch... not your usual sandwich. I devoured it, before thinking of taking a photo. Trust me, it was good eats.

We left the Castro and rode back to Union Square where we caught a bus to North Beach. Time was winding down, it was time to for our last meal. Sotto Mare was the spot. They have excellent seafood. All roads lead here for us. I usually get the cioppino, but this time I went for the snapper and Frank had seafood risotto.

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

It did not disappoint. We walked over to Victoria Pastry. Frank wanted one last sweet treat before his weightloss challenge officially begun. He had a cannoli and coffee. I had a couple tiny almond cookies. And that was it. It was time to gather our bag and take one last cable car ride to the Bart and then we homeward bound. The flight home only had 20 people or so, so, we had our pick of seats. Our load was light and we were home in no time. Another trip was in the books. Until next time...

No comments: