May 15, 2013

Hiking at Red Rock Canyon

Despite several attempts I have not been able to commit to regular exercise. Mainly, because I find it hard to keep motivated when I get bored to tears on the treadmill and elliptical. In hopes to improve my fitness level and shed some pounds I started hiking at Red Rock with friends. I love getting out there! It's so beautiful and peaceful. Hiking at Red Rock feels so much more productive. I can breathe fresh air, enjoy nature and get my blood pumping. Now, if only, I could find more time to do it. It's hard to organize with friends on the weekends. We all have such busy schedules. And now that the mercury is rising it's really too hot to hike Red Rock. Mt Charleston is a great alternative in the summer, but its not nearly as convenient. It's a much longer haul from home. So, we'll see how often I get there. Anyway, I bought a yearly pass to Red Rock and my goal is to hike every trail. So far, I have three under my belt.

Pine Creek Canyon is the first hike I did this year. It is a moderate three miles along the canyon walls and it offers stunning views. The ponderosa pine forest is able to thrive because of the cool air in the canyon and water from the nearby stream. The forest is remnant of the Ice Age. As I understand it the canyon walls are among the best rock climbing in the world. You're sure to see some climbers, just be on the lookout.

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug



Oak Creek Canyon is the second hike I tackled. It is one of the least popular trails, since it is near the end of the park. Still, it too, is very beautiful. The two mile trail winds through the open desert and over a number of boulders. There was even a small stream.

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug



Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

Most recently, I hiked Ice Box Canyon. Frank and I hiked it a few years back and were rewarded with early spring waterfalls. I chose it last weekend since temperatures were in the mid-90's and I knew it would it would be the best hike for a hot day. The trail takes you across the open desert before leading you through the cool, shady canyon. When you pass the wilderness sign you'll encounter large boulders and the remainder of the hike is mainly rock scrambling. It's good fun and a great full body workout. This trip we were too late for waterfalls, but we spotted a few cacti blooms.

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug



No comments: