"Sittin' on the Dock of the Bay"

November 21, 2011
Saturday, we packed and checked out. Then, we headed over to Chinatown for yummy peking duck at R & G Lounge. We didn't order eggrolls, but they appeared and we couldn't turn them away.

The duck was so good. I'm not sure a word was spoke while we feasted. We saw salt and pepper crab coming out of the kitchen like hotcakes, next time we'll have to try that.

We weren't hungry in the least bit, but Good Luck Cafe was practically next door. We walked by and they had sandwiches on dutch crunch and that's all it took to sway Frank. He told them it was our first time and asked for a recommendation. They suggested turkey with bacon, lettuce, avocado and tomato. Sold!

It was a tasty sandwich, just a shame I wasn't a more hungry. If I were, I think I would've enjoyed it more. We walked off some calories - oh, wait, they don't exist on vacation - and found ourselves at the Ferry Building. They were having a large farmer's market. There were all sorts of tents and vendors behind the building. We thought we'd ferry over to wherever was convenient, but no times worked out for us. We wanted to squeeze in one more meal before heading home and the ferry would put a wrench in those plans. Instead, we walked to the end of the pier and took in the sights. The Bay bridge just had its 75th anniversary.

We found a bench on the otherside of the pier. We took a seat and soaked up the rays. The people watching was the cheapest source of entertainment - the whole trip, really. After soaking up the warm sun we went to the Embarcadero in search of coffee and restroom, along the way we found ladies selling churros. One won't hurt.

At the Embarcadero we liked the open walkways that connect the buildings, they offer a good vantage point to watch the world go by... so, that's just what we did.

Enough time had passed that we could eat again. We set off for Penang Garden. We ate there last year and thoroughly enjoyed the hot & spicy crab. We attempted to get another, but they weren't able to get any at the market. They tried to sell us the lobster, but it's not the same. We left, and went back to North Beach.

Sotto Mare it was! We loved this restaurant, too, last visit. We got a table outside and ordered the red snapper and cioppino. It was perfect. It made us really not want to leave.

Whenever you gotta rock a bib, you know you are in for a treat and we were not disappointed.

We strolled around and when we were near Saints Peter and Paul church, the church bells rang for a wedding. What a beautiful place to be wed. Frank had us catch a bus up Telegraph hill. It was the golden hour so he thought I'd like the photo opps. Surely, I did.

We had time to spare before the airport so we decided to grab beers at La Trappe. Only those plans were foiled because they weren't open yet. We went to La Rocca's Corner further down, we've been there before. After enjoying a Widmer and Stella, we caught the bus right outside the door to the Bart Station on Powell. We collected our bags and our time in San Francisco was up. We rode to the airport, Southwest welcomed us aboard another light flight so we were encouraged to stretch out. There was a big group celebrating a birthday in Vegas for 12 hours. They were all decked out in 80's wear. I'd like to see what they looked like when they boarded their return flight. Just over an hour later, we were gazing at the glow of the neon reflecting from the strip. We might not have wanted to leave San Francisco, but it was still good to be home.

Frank tossed ten bucks into Wheel of Fortune. Shockingly, we cashed out for $85. That nearly paid our airfare. You have to love it! We claimed our car from the economy lot and headed home. Our last vacation of 2011 was over. No trips are planned. We must rectify that soon.


Edward said...


You certainly have an eye and a talent for good photos. I envy that.

Kellee said...

Thanks for the kind words!

Search This Blog