November 4, 2008

Election day!

Martha Stewart can’t vote, but you can. I voted last week, but it’ll be interesting to see the true numbers roll in today. I’m tired of speculation, the hubbub, the phone calls and mailings, I'm ready for the campaign trail to end. I wonder how long it’ll be before we know who our next president will be.

Today is also my nephew’s 2nd birthday. Happy birthday, Nicky!!! It seems like yesterday Amy and I were wondering what he’d look like or what his voice would sound like. Fun to imagine, but it’s a true joy to know. I wish I were with them today to celebrate.

I heard Nicky had fun trick or treating. They paid my in-laws a visit; it was one of the first houses they stopped at. They were invited in and they visited for a bit before carrying on their way. After that, Nicky wanted to go into everyone’s house.

I had one little girl dressed as a princess that wanted to come inside my house while I handed her brother and sister their candy. There was another little boy dressed at Woody (from Toy Story) that was cute as can be. He tried with all his might to reach my door bell and he wouldn't leave until he got it. It was a fun night. We had about 60 trick or treaters. We had quite a bit of candy left over so the kids that came during the last hour received large handfuls.

The rest of the weekend was pretty quiet. Weather turned cooler, the 90’s are gone for good, I'm pretty certain the 80’s are too, hopefully the 70’s hang around for a long time. I don’t want to deal with temperatures chillier than that. I never thought this summer got too hot, so I’m afraid I’m going to FREEZE this winter. I’m not looking forward to it.

I only tried one new recipe over the weekend. It was for parmesan knots. An easy and tasty way to liven up refrigerated dough.

2 tablespoons and 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
1 tablespoon and 1 teaspoon grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
Dash pepper
1 (12 ounce) can refrigerated buttermilk biscuits

In a small bowl, combine oil, cheese, parsley, oregano, garlic powder and pepper; set aside.

Cut each biscuit in half. Roll each portion into a 6-in. rope; tie in a loose knot. Place on greased baking sheets.

Bake at 450 degrees F for 6-8 minutes or until golden brown; immediately brush with the Parmesan mixture. Serve warm or freeze for up to 2 months.

No comments: