February 25, 2008

San Diego: Point Loma

As we were leaving Ocean Beach, we caught a sign for Point Loma so we decided to go ahead and see as much as we could before dusk. Before hitting the park, we stopped at Fort Rosecrans Cemetery to pay our respects to our fallen military and their families.

Then we continued on to the Cabrillo National Monument, which commemorates the day in 1542, when Juan Rodriguez Cabrillo, the first European, set foot on what is now the West Coast of the US.

Mexico in the distance

Point Loma Light House

From the light house looking back on San Diego

A cruise ship leaving port

We got kicked out of the park at closing so we headed over to Sunset Cliffs to watch the sunset

Afterwards we headed to downtown San Diego, we decided to park at Horton Plaza and catch a movie. We were too tired to walk around and we needed to pass time and work up a hunger. We got tickets to see Jumper, we walked around the mall to kill time until the show started.

We got seated inside the theater, evidently there’s no such thing as personal space at these theaters. I had my feet resting in between the seats in front of me and this guy picked there of all places, in a half empty theater, to sit. Then, right before the previews began another guy came and sat right next to me despite the entire row being open. During the commercials before the previews (does it bother anyone else that they do this? It irks me $20 for a movie and advertising is still crammed down our throats!) the screen froze, we waited 30 minutes, but gave up and requested a refund.

We were still beat so we didn’t want to do much of anything so we decided to head over to Los Panchos for dinner. Yes, the same place as the day before. We started with chips and salsa. We each had two Cadillac Margaritas, yum! Frank had a chicken burrito and I had the best carne asada burrito I’ve ever consumed. We finished up the meal with fried ice cream. Muy delicioso!

We went back to the hotel. I had been super cold all day. My face was sunburned from earlier in the day and from the day before, so the cool breezes felt especially chilly to me. I hopped under the covers to warm up and I was asleep in seconds.

We got up fairly early, we showered, packed and we were on the road by 9am. We stopped in Baker at the Mad Greek for lunch, we each had a gyro. We continued on the drive back home was a breeze. We had a great time, and we really enjoy San Diego, but we were happy to home.

No comments: