December 7, 2010

Hasta Luego!

Pronto estare en la playa disfrutando de la comida y la cerveza delicioso.

Mexico is so close I can taste the salt in the air. This time tomorrow I should be at the beach with a belly filled with delicious Mexican food. I can't wait to relax with a few cervezas, as well.

In the meantime, I'm tying up loose ends, here, at work. Once I get off, I'll dash for home and start packing. We plan to not check luggage, carry-ons have worked for us during travels to San Francisco, Seattle and Vancouver. I figure beach-ware should be fairly easy to pack. Especially, after a few successes to cold weather climates. Oddly enough, I'm packing more shoes this trip. I usually get by on the pair I wear, but this vacation will require three pair. Gosh, I've never sounded like such a girl. I could get away with two, but I really think I need three: water shoes, gym shoes and sandals.

I've gotten really good about traveling with 3 ounces or less of liquids. I nearly blew it with sunblock this time. I usually prefer the sunblock sprays to cover my body, but 5 oz. was the smallest I could find. Thankfully, I realized this over the weekend, and had time to seek out appropriate sized sunblock lotions. Not my preference, but I'm not paying $50 to check a bag purely for sunblock. I might even get lucky and find something at Walmart or the Mega, once we get into town. If not, I'm prepared otherwise. I'm also bringing bug-spray this trip. Last time, we got eaten alive, not smart to sleep in the outdoor hammock much of the night. Again, I'll be prepared just in case. Previous trips also brought about a broken ankle and montezuma's revenge. Those three pairs of shoes will aid in preventing any injuries, each are sturdy. Given my history, Frank requires me to wear sturdy shoes. I oblige. He's smart, and why not save myself from pain and suffering. As far as sickness goes, I figure I can bring a handful of medicine to combat whatever ails us.

It's been three years since we last visited Mexico. I'm doing everything in my power to make this the best trip, yet. Even with injuries and sickness, we keep coming back so it's never that bad anyhow. I hear the area has built up a bit since our last trip, so I'm interested to see the changes for myself. I've been told to expect delays from road contruction around Playa Del Carmen. I suspect we'll be spending more free time in Akumal if that's the case. I hear they have a new fancy overpass. You no longer have to go to the right shoulder to make a left turn into town. Ahh! The joys of driving in Mexico... rights to go left, topes, random obstacles and more. Thankfully, I married a man who loves to drive and is a skilled driver, so I don't have to worry about a thing.

Because of the airline fiasco, I wasn't able to get a flight out to Cancun with our usual stop in Phoenix, this time we'll be going via Charlotte, NC. I've never been anywhere near there, can't say an airport is a fair representation, but there are worse places to be stuck on a layover. Good news is I did snag the Phoenix layover on the way home. It's for the best. I'm sure I'll be dying to get back. It happens everytime, I'm excited to go, but even more excited to return. Often I wonder why I even leave, but you can't miss what you have if you never leave it behind. And I do love to travel. I love to see how others live. I love experiencing new adventures, and revisiting old favorites.

I'll catch y'all next week.

No comments: