December 30, 2010

The Gift of Tomorrow

It’s hard to believe 2010 is coming to an end, it seems like only yesterday we were saying so long to 2009, but here we are ushering in 2011. It’s been a wild ride. The economy and even the weather haven’t been able to hold steady. Mother Nature is getting the last laugh; we are set to have the coldest New Year’s Eve ever. Last I saw, the forecast calls for a high of 39. Bring whiskey, strip revelers; you’ll need it to keep warm.

2010 tossed us some curve balls but overall we’ve had a very blessed year. We’ve had quality time with loved ones, near and far. Met friends, new and old. Traveled quite a bit, and ate even more. All the while creating fantastic memories I’ll cherish forever.

I've realized this year, I've learned more about myself. I guess it’s true you do get more comfortable in your own in skin after 30. Or maybe, I’m just learning to let go of my fears – of failure, among other things? I’ve pursued and achieved many things this year. Things I never dreamt possible just a short year ago. I know it’s just the beginning. They say a journey begins with one step. Well, I’m anxious to see where my feet lead me.

Home will change in the coming year. As much as I love our house, I look forward to new freedoms that will provide us with opportunities to live freer. I yearn to travel. We are fortunate that we are able to do a fair amount already – I’ve visited Phoenix, San Diego, Seattle, Vancouver, Hurricane, Huntington Beach, San Francisco, and Xpu-ha this year – but I want to see more. I want to experience the world. Beginning with Italy, our goal is 2012. In 2011, we already have plans to visit San Diego, Phoenix and New York City. We’d also like to get to Louisville, KY and possible New Orleans. Plus, we have our sights set on return trips to San Francisco and Xpu-ha. And, I think it’s time I get back to Chicago for a visit. Check back this time next year to see how we fare.

Above all, this year has taught me life is even shorter than I ever knew. I’ve always tried to live each day to the fullest, but it seems even more important to live each day as your last. Only today is certain, tomorrows are simply a gift.

No comments: