December 9, 2015

Jessie Rae's BBQ



Barbecue takes patience and know how. I'm not graced with either gift, so I prefer to grab smoky succulent meat out when the craving strikes. My love of barbecue was unleashed in Austin, Texas. I can't get there as often as I'd like, so I must search for meaty goodness near home. I don't like chains so for a long time the Valley was lacking in options.

Thankfully, times have changed and we're lucky to have some pretty great barbecue right here in Las Vegas. While some are growing by leaps and bounds, others are just getting their start like Jessie Rae's BBQ. They are a small operation putting love into everything they do. Open for lunch Monday thru Friday, plus an occasional Saturday.

Just minutes from the strip on Valley View, you'll be greeted with a waft of smoke that fills the air when you pull up to the quaint building that is home to Jessie Rae's BBQ. A friendly "hello" welcomes you at the door, the menu is simple but offers variety. If you're lucky, the owner Mike will suggest daily specials. You'll find the best selection if you go early. When they run out, that's it for the day. It's also worth a mention that all sauces are made in house. Prices are not cheap, but real barbecue never is.

The dining room is tiny so they have a steady stream of carry-out business. My brother and I were fortunate to find a seat. It took only a few short minutes before Mike brought out our grub. My combo was Pulled Pork and sliced Brisket ($14). He opted for the Double Brisket sandwich for ($12). Both had the choice of one side, we each chose the Mac N Cheese. The combo offered a hearty portion of meat, more than I could finish. Both meats were very good. I don't know that I could choose one over the other. Which is going to make the choice difficult on future visits. The brisket was extremely tender, it had a nice smoke ring and it was loaded with flavor. It was great on its own and even better with God's sauce or Fallen Angel for a more fiery bite. The Pig Sweat was the third sauce option, and I know it is customary for pulled pork, but it's too vinegary for my liking. My brother enjoyed his sandwich too; tender brisket with the extra benefit of bold and flavorful burnt ends. The bun was fresh and it was dense enough to support the weight of the meat - which can be a feat in itself. Good eatin' for sure. I just love these mom & pop gems.

1 comment:

Mike said...

Thanks for the Write up!! Come back and see us one day soon! We just opened our second location inside Cactus Jacks Saloon.

Mike