August 8, 2007

Sweet Escape at the Signature

Our stay at the Signature had been a long time coming, but in the end it was well worth the wait. After a few failed attempts, we made last minute reservation under the Summer Splash promo and booked a junior suite for $169.

Sunday afternoon, we decided we’d try to check in early, we arrived at the entrance on Harmon Ave., where we were politely greeted by security at the gate. He verified our information, returned with a parking pass and directed us to Tower 2. Valet was efficient, as was the bellman who promptly assisted us with our bags. The level of service we received immediately impressed us and we hadn’t even formally registered as guests. Check-in was a breeze, our request for a junior suite with a balcony on a high floor overlooking the strip was honored, we were given keys to room 35-705.

When we arrived at our room, housekeeping was still tidying up. So, we called to the desk to see if we could get another room assigned. A quick second later, we were headed up two floors to 37-705. We met the bellman in the elevator and he followed right behind us. He was courteous, as well. We were pleased by the accommodations and view.

As you enter, the bathroom was to the left

Then there’s a dry bar in the entry and large closet to the right. Across from the closet is a heavenly bed covered in plush linens, the alarm clock beside the bed has an iPod docking station.

Opposite is the kitchen/entertainment area. TV swivels and it’s equipped with a DVD player. Kitchenette has everything you’d need except a dishwasher and oven.

Next is the living (with sleeper sofa) and dining areas, followed by the sliding glass door that leads to the balcony.

That offers these views

After we got situated we set off to find food since we were starved. Lunch offerings at MGM didn’t appeal to us so we headed to Mandalay Bay via Trop to Excalibur to catch the tram. We thought we'd give Burger Bar another try and see about making reservations at Stripsteak for dinner. After an easy jaunt we were told it would be a forty minute wait when we arrived at Burger Bar. No thanks. We opted to dine at Giorgio, next door, instead.

I had the Italian sandwich, Frank chose chicken parmigiana sandwich and we each had a side Caesar salad instead of fries. Service was a bit bizarre as our food arrived before our drinks, but the meal itself was fine. Bill before tip was $36.

Afterwards, we decided to play some ponies at the race book. We won two exacta bets, but neither paid enough to offset other bets made. Next, we toured the casino floor and made our way to restaurant row. No one was manning the host podium at Stripsteak, so Frank used the phone there to make a reservation. The operator transferred him to the desk where we were standing, so Frank answered his own call. We got a good laugh, but no ressie. We figured we'd call later if we decided we wanted to return for dinner.

We were ready to relax so we made our way back to the Signature. Along the way we glanced over Seablue’s menu and decided on dinner there, so we made a reservation for 8:30 on the spot. We returned to the room and drew a bath. After a delightful soak, we lounged around in bed and flipped through the channels on TV.

Frank wanted to play poker so he called the room and added his name to the list. We also called housekeeping to request turndown service. About twenty minutes later, we headed down to MGM’s casino. I wandered the casino floor playing misc. slots and had no luck. Meanwhile Frank couldn’t catch any good cards playing poker. So, he moved on to blackjack. I met up with him there, since I considered playing, as well. But the Asian dealer of death cleaned him out in no time, so I didn’t want to lend myself to the same beating.

We sauntered through the casino eventually making our way to Seablue. The restaurant was far less crowded than we expected, midway thru our meal we had our entire section to ourselves, which we appreciated. After reviewing the menu we settled on chilled prawns to start, and Frank also selected a Caesar salad. The prawns were so fresh and delicious we ordered more. Frank enjoyed his salad, as well. Flatbread with a trio of tapenades was also served. We were careful not to spoil our appetite before our entrees arrived. I selected the kurabota pork chop and Frank went with the bone-in NY strip steak. Both were prepared to perfection and served alongside a medley of veggies. The meal was outstanding, Frank insisted that he would order more prawns, if nothing on the dessert menu grabbed him. However, tiramisu was an option too hard to resist. It, too, was excellent. Our total before tip was $170. Superb food and service escalates Seablue to one of our top three restaurant experiences in Las Vegas.

After dinner we stopped at the arcade. We played a game of air hockey. Frank won as usual. Then we moved on to racing video games which I'm much better at. Frank beat me in the first race, but I took him in the rematch. Always fun to bring out the inner-child every now and then.

We were entitled to two drinks at the Signature lobby, so we planned to stop on our way back to the room. However, we got wrapped up in our conversation and forgot about the detour. Upon our arrival to the room, we saw that we had not received turn down service as requested. Frank placed a call to housekeeping, they offered their apologies and said they’d be right up. We took the opportunity to have drinks at the lounge. Frank ordered a double shot of Patron Silver, wanting to use up our full credit I ordered the same. Little did we know, our bar tab came to $48. Craziness. There was a blitzed group at the bar that were quite obnoxious so we hurriedly finished our drinks and returned to the room. Housekeeping was still there, so we waited on the balcony while they finished up.

After they left we got comfortable and lounged on the balcony enjoying the beautiful evening.

Later, we retired to bed and slept like babies. I awoke refreshed and decided to soak in the tub one last time. After showering, I brewed a pot of coffee for Frank and prepared a cup of hot tea for myself. Frank showered, while I read a magazine on the balcony. He ordered breakfast from the in-suite dining menu. Banana nut French toast for me and an swiss, cheddar, provolone omelet for him. About thirty minutes later, the door bell rang, our breakfast had arrived it looked and smelled fabulous. Too bad my picture doesn’t do it justice. We dug in, the meal was well-prepared and everything was excellent. Breakfast was just shy of $40 before tip, worth every penny, too.

Sadly our time at the Signature was winding down. It was time to pack and check-out. Frank called the belldesk and had valet bring the car around. Wonderful not having to wait. We settled up our bill at the front desk and we were on our way. Back to the real world…

The only problems we encountered were with housekeeping, every other aspect of our stay exceeded our expectations. We will gladly return to the Signature in the future

No comments: