July 9, 2007

7.7.7 Getting lucky in Lake Las Vegas (cont.)

Refreshed, we headed over to Como's for dinner. Patio seating is available, but not offered tonight due the heat. Therefore, the indoor dining area was quite crowded, but tables were arranged in a way that allowed privacy from other diners. It took only minute to decide on our order. We started with onion soup and caesar salad, I selected filet mignon and Frank chose the rib eye for his entree. He also requested a side of au gratin potatoes.

We snacked on a variety of breads while waiting for our meal to arrive. Olive tapinade was served alongside the fresh and delicious breads. We shared our starters; both were nicely prepared, although the romaine hearts were dressed too heavily for tastes. The entrees were delivered in ample time, and each had a lovely presentation. Sautéed spring vegetables and mashed potatoes accompanied my filet. Everything on my plate was excellent and prepared to perfection. The filet had a peppered crust that sealed in the juices and the meat itself was tender. I savored every bite. Frank's rib eye was served with roasted fingerling potatoes and spinach; those were the low-lights of the meal. The rib eye, however, was outstanding. The au gratin potatoes were layered with care and they were delicious, as well.

We were quite full when our plates were cleared away, but we found it too hard to resist the dessert menu. We couldn't settle on one selection so we ordered two: chocolate bread pudding and molten cake.

Again, the presentation was delightful. My molten cake was beside an expresso cup filled with espresso flavored gelato; garnished with mixed berries. The bread pudding had several layers and was served with chocolate gelato. Unfortunately, the desserts were all show and no substance. They were the weakest links of the meal.

Service was great and our bill came to $140. We'll definitely return, but next time we'll forego the dessert.

The sun had set when we left Como's. We walked the lakefront and listened to the Jazz band. We planned to walk around the village and check out a few shops, but all the events of the day were taking a toll on Frank (he’s recovering from surgery he had last month). His back was achy and his legs were tight so we felt it was best to return to our room.

Looking toward the Pontevecchio Bridge:

Before retiring to the room, we snuck a peek at the pool, but it was too crowded to swim. Instead, we called it a night and enjoyed the rest of our evening in our "suite".

No comments: