February 6, 2007

Review: The Producers

After dinner, we caught the 8pm performance of The Producers. Tickets were only $60/pp because I took advantage of the promotion offered to locals during preview performances. We had seats 38/39 in row G; I believe that’s on the border of the green and red section, if ordering via Ticketmaster. Our seats were good, but I would’ve preferred to be closer to the stage. If you’re debating seating selection I’d suggest narrowing down the options to Blue ($143), Green ($128) or Red ($108). I believe it would be best to forget the yellow ($75) section altogether and blue would offer optimum viewing. The theater has undergone little change since it was home to We Will Rock You; as far as I could tell, it was identical except for the sets.

As we had expected, the show was entertaining and we both enjoyed it. The performers are talented and there are lots of laughs throughout the musical. Brad Oscar plays Max Bialystock and Larry Raben stars as Leo Bloom. Leigh Zimmerman spices things up as Ulla. The trio works splendidly together. The theater erupted when David Hasselhoff appeared as Roger Debris. He depicts the flamboyant role fabulously. Overall, it was a lot of fun. The show was seamless despite it being a preview performance. The cast earned a standing ovation, the crowd seemed pleased and only positive things were overheard.

I don't feel that it makes the list of must-see shows, but if you have interest, I think it's worth the ticket price. While it wasn’t my favorite Broadway show that’s made it’s way to Las Vegas, it'll be interesting to see if The Producers has what it takes to succeed.

No comments: