January 3, 2017

2017 = 365 Opportunities

Welcome 2017! Whether you gave 2016 a swift kick or a wistful good-bye, I hope the new year has been treating you well. Mine was pretty quiet, with any luck that means a peaceful twelve months will follow. I know many choose a word to shape their year, however, I prefer not to assume or make intentions. I'd rather it unfold organically. At least, that's been the case for the past few years. At year end, I've reflected on the daily joys and challenges; and then, chose the word to sum up the 365-day journey. 2013, Simplify; 2014, Celebrate; 2015, Persevere; 2016... Thankful. Sure, there were many bad days scattered among the good, but at the end of it all I was thankful for health, love and family. And Take5 candy bars.

Traveling was a large part of our 2016. It was love at first sight when we set foot in Nicaragua, we returned to favorites like Austin, San Diego, San Francisco, Portland and Louisville. Our time in Cincinnati was brief, but we were definitely intrigued. Food always plays a big role in our lives, but rather than trying as many new places as possible we stuck to those that are reliably outstanding - Cleo, Joe's, Marisco's Playa Escondido, I'm looking at you. My annual year in review is lacking as a result, but in any case the following was the notable of 2016:

Biggest regret - Not letting go of things I cannot change

Do More - That brings joy


LOCAL EATS


[Photo: yelp/el dorado cantina]

Biggest Craving - Tableside Guacamole, El Dorado Cantina



Best Bite - Spicy Cigars, Cleo



Welcome to the Neighborhood - Shang Artisan Noodle


[Photo: yelp/TonyT]

Best Value - Komex Fusion


[photo: facebook/buddha belly deli]

RIP - Buddha Belly Deli. I'll miss Pho Dips and Dragon Breath Fries.


TRAVELS



Life Changing - Noble Ale Works; Anaheim, CA



Best Eats - Austin. It continues to hold the title. The BBQ is just unreal.



Most disappointing - Portland Eats, the exception was Pine State Biscuits.



Most relaxing - Casa Serena; San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua

ENTERTAINMENT

Best Song - Cake by the Ocean, DNCE. I'm so embarrassed to admit it, but it's so catchy - it makes me happy.

Best Album - Falling into Place, Rebelution

Best TV Show - The Crown, Netflix

Best Concert - Rebelution at Mandalay Beach, Moorea Beach Club

Best Movie - Snowden? I'm coming up empty for box office picks.
Television Movie - HBO's All the Way


No comments: